Skip to content

Italy – Tuscany – Chianti

Quick links
Simona Sovič
Published: March 22, 2020
There are 20 regions in Italy. Tuscany is just halfway between Rome and Venice. The main town in Tuscany is Florence, the heart of the renaissance.   The region is already world-renowned for wine, but the small region of Tuscany still has so much diversity to offer. The Chianti area spans a 30-mile radius around the city of Florence, excluding the north of the region where the Apennine mountains are not a hospitable environment for harvesting grapes and olives. Wine selections Chianti is divided into 7 sub-areas. The most famous one is the Chianti Classico region. You may recognize it from the black rooster on the label. This symbol represents the medieval logo of the Florentine republic. Wine production has always been an integral part of the region. The red Chianti wine is controlled with very strict regulations. These regulations require winemakers to produce Chianti with at least 80 % of Sangiovese grapes. The other 20% is a mix between Canaiolo and Ciliegiolo grapes. There is no such thing as white Chianti wine. However, many winemakers in the area do produce white wine using other grapes. Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio, Reisling wines can all be found in the Chianti area, but red wine reigns supreme. There are many noble families in Tuscany, some even dating back to the renaissance. These families oftentimes have sprawling properties in Chianti where they produce delicious wine on their very own family-run property. Oftentimes the winemaker is the patriarch of the family who learned from his father. Because of this, generation after generation has passed down knowledge about the art of winemaking. Therefore, decades upon decades of improvements have been made to many of these wines. Oeioke on wine tour In Chianti, every year is a new beginning. Each season brings a new climate, which means that the vineyards have to be managed in response to the weather. Every new season is like a taste-puzzle. Don't waste your vacation in line with museums and churches and escape in the countryside and do some wine tasting. In Tuscany, the most important part of wine production is an ideal climate. This means cold enough during the winter, but not too extreme and a long dry summer. This ideal climate gives the wine the power to be aged for many years inside the oak barrels. Usually, red Chianti wine is aged anywhere from 6 months to 3 years. Many producers export the largest part of their production. However, the best vintages can usually be found locally. A small private collection for the real wine connoisseur is always available. Olive oil production is another important part of the business in Tuscany. Tuscan trees are on the smaller side which may not produce many olives every year but, they do produce a high-quality olive. Extra virgin olive oil is a cold, first-press oil. Acidity is a very important aspect of olive oil which determines the quality of the oil. Olives must be pressed on the same day otherwise the acidity beings to rise. Extra virgin olive oil doesn't age like wine so it is best when used in the same season. The best period to visit Tuscany is from May to September, Florencewinetour is a great solution for your wine experience.
About the author
Simona Sovič
Wine & Food Enthusiast. Always ready to explore new places & wines :)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Other blog posts


In the heart of Italy, in Tuscany, one of the best Italian wines is produced — Chianti wines. Find out what makes them so special!

3 min read
Read more →

Wine tours in Valencia, Spain

Valencia is one of the top European wine destinations. Discover what are the best wine tours in the area.

3 min read
Read more →


Slovenia is a wine country, and red wines are our specialty. Find out which are the most popular, that you shouldn’t forget to try on a wine tasting here.

3 min read
Read more →
Experience the world of Slovenian wines
© Copyright by Wine Tasting Bled
Part of Slovenia Discovery brand.